As Claire's mom I see it as my duty to pass on the family recipes! I love her website and when she told me about her new feature 'add your own soup recipe' I figured let's surprise her and give it a go. So honey, here it is!
This recipe is originally my mother's recipe - Claire's grandmother and truly one of our family's classics. This traditional soup, never lets you down and always tastes wonderful.
- White Onion - 1, peeled and coarsely chopped
- Carrot - 1 medium, peeled cut lengthwise and sliced
- Leeks - 2 small leeks, cut lengthwise and sliced
- Red Bell Pepper - 1/2, cut in small dices
- Cauliflower - 100gr in small florets
- Celery - 4 sticks peeled end finely sliced and celery green (leaves only) chopped
- Beefstock - 2L / 8 cups
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Minced Veal - 200g
- Breadcrumbs - 1 tablespoon
- Salt and Pepper - to season
- Optional -
- Fine Egg Noodles - small handful
Sauté the onion on medium heat for 3 min. and add the carrot, red pepper, celery, the white part of the celery and half of the leek. Stir them around for another 5 min. and add the stock. Let it simmer for 15 min.
Mix the veal with breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, make small meatballs. Add the meatballs, the chopped leaves of the celery and cook for 10 min. more.
In the meantime sauté the rest of the leek until browned but not burned and add to the soup, which gives an special flavor. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Optional: when the children were small, we often added a small handful of alphabets egg noodles.