Not long ago I discovered 'Tom Kha Hed' a delicious Thai soup in our local Thai restaurant and I was desperate to prepare it myself. It took me some time to get the ingredients and quantities right, but am happy with the result; a simple recipe with a very distinctive taste.
- Vegetable Stock - 1L/ 4 cups
- Coconut milk(reduced fat) - 1 can
- Fresh Lemongrass - 3 stalks, ends and outer layer removed
- Button Mushrooms - 150g/5 oz. each mushroom cut into 4 pieces
- Garnish -
- Fresh Thai Basil/Coriander/Cilantro - Chopped
- Lemon or lime - Juice of 1/2 a lime or lemon
For the fresh lemongrass start with slicing off the very bottom of the lemongrass stalk, and peel off any dried-out layers. Then bash the woody top end with a rolling pin to soften, and help release some of the aromatic oils.
Pour the coconut milk (I use reduced fat coconut milk), the vegetable stock and the pieces of bruised lemongrass in your stockpot and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
Remove the lemongrass pieces and add the mushrooms to the soup. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are softened, but not mushy.
Remove from the heat, laddle into bowls, add a splash of lemon juice, sprinkle fresh herb on top and serve.