This soup is the ultimate autumn comfort food. It's heart warming, healthy and oh so easy to make. The combination of the sweet potatoes, quinoa and beautiful spices make this soul-satisfying soup perfect for any night of the week.
- Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
- Yellow Onion - 1, diced
- Garlic Cloves - 3, finely chopped
- Sweet Potatoes - 2, peeled and roughly chopped
- Vegetable Stock - 4 cups / 1L
- Curry Powder (Mild) - 1/2 tablespoon
- Ground Tumeric - 1/2 teaspoon
- Chilli Powder - 1/8 teaspoon
- Salt & Pepper - To taste
- Quinoa - 1/2 cup - 125ml
- Garnish -
- Sour Cream - a spoonful on top
- Parsley - to sprinkle on top
- Croutons - to sprinkle on top
Heat the olive oil on medium heat in your stockpot. Sauté the onions and when they are about done add the garlic. Once translucent add the sweet potato tranches, curry powder, ground tumeric and chilli powder. Cover the ingredients and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes or until softened(not brownish).
Pour in your stock and bring to boil. Once boiling reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are very tender.
In the meantime cook the quinoa according to instructions on packaging in a separate pan.
Turn off the heat and let the soup cool down for a few minutes. Then purée the ingredients with a hand blender in the stockpot or puree in batches in your blender. Once done, stir in the quinoa and season with salt and pepper.
Serve the soup with a spoonful of sour cream, parsley and croutons on top.