It's the perfect time of year to enjoy this Tuscan classic while the basil and tomatoes are at their best. This Italian tomato and bread soup is very easy to prepare and great for the entire family. Success guaranteed.
- Tuscan Bread (Ciabatta bread) - 1 stale bread break/ cut into pieces
- Tomatoes - 900g / 2 lbs. peeled and chopped
- Vegetable Stock - 1L / 4 cups
- Garlic - 3 cloves peeled and finely chopped
- Fresh Basil - 1 large handful basil leaves, torn into small pieces . Stalk kept into one piece
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - To fry and to swirl on top
- Salt & Black Pepper - To taste
To peel the skin off the tomatoes, boil a kettle and pour the hot water over the tomatoes. Leave for a few seconds until the skin near the cross starts to curl. Place in cold water, then peel off the skin and roughly chop.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in your stockpot, add 5 basil stalks and the finely chopped garlic. Gently fry the stalks and garlic until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes and a handful of basil leaves torn into small pieces. Pour in the stock and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add the bread pieces to your stockpot, season well and simmer on low heat for another 15 minutes.
Divide the soup over the bowls, swirl some extra virgin olive oil on top and garnish with a few basil leaves, enjoy!