I love barley, it's a healthy high-fiber, high-protein whole grain boasting numerous health benefits. The combination with the mushrooms and carrot make it a great vegetarian meal in a bowl, complete it with a salad on the side and dinner is served!
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp.
- Red Onion - 1 finely chopped
- Garlic Cloves - 2 finely chopped
- Dried Thyme - 1 tsp.
- Mushrooms of your choice - 450g / 1 lb, sliced
- Carrot - 1 large, cut vertically and sliced
- Mushroom Stock - 1.25L/ 6 cups
- Salt & Pepper - to season
- Pearl Barley - 150g / 3/4 cup
- For Garnish
- Lemon - wedges
- Flat leaf Parsley - chopped
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese - shaved
Rinse the barley thoroughly, bring vegetable stock to a boil and add the barley to boiling stock and stir together. Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes and once done, set aside.
Heat the olive oil on medium heat in your stockpot. Add the finely chopped garlic, onion and 1 tsp. of dried rosemary. Gently fry without colouring for about 10 minutes.
Then stir in the carrot and mushrooms, cover the ingredients and leave for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally, again gently fry without colouring.
Pour in you mushroom stock and once boiling reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Now stir in the barley, season with salt and pepper and simmer for another 5-10minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls, place the garnish on the table so that everyone can garnish their own soup. Enjoy.