Celebrate this time of year with wonderful light and flavourful spring and summer vegetables. This delicious spring minestrone is easy to prepare yet special enough for entertaining. Feel free to add or substitute the vegetables with other vegetables lying in your kitchen and need to be used.
- Vegetable Stock - 6 cups / 1.5L
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp.
- Broad Beans - 1cup / 130g podded
- Fine Asparagus - 1 cup/ 100g chopped (woody ends removed)
- Sugar Snaps - 1.5 cups/ 200g chopped
- Leeks - 2, finely chopped
- Celery - 2, finely chopped
- Fine Beans - 1 cup/100g
- Courgette - 2, quartered lengthways then sliced
- Garlic cloves - 3, finely chopped
- Pesto -
- Fine Egg Noodles - 1 handful
For this soup it is best to use a wide but not very deep pan. A casserole type would be ideal. Heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the garlic, leek and celery and gently fry without colouring for about 10 minutes or until softened.
Then add the courgette, sugar snaps, fine beans, broad beans and asparagus. Cover the ingredients and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes, again gently fry without colouring.
Pour in your vegetable stock and bring to boil. Once boiling reduce the heat, season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 10 minutes. Then add the handful of egg noodles and simmer another 8 min. until tender.
Serve the minestrone in bowls with a teaspoon of pesto on top and some ciabatta bread on the side.