As the days and nights are getting cooler already, I made a new soup recipe to keep you warm and healthy. This kale and butter bean soup is nutritious, filling, low fat and packed with beautiful flavours.
- Olive OIl - 2 tbsp.
- Red onion - 1, large finely chopped
- Garlic - 3, cloves finely chopped
- Celery stalks - 2, finely chopped
- Carrots - 2, medium finely chopped
- Tomato paste - 2 tbsp./ 70g
- Kale - 0.5 lb/ 4 cups/250g, finely chopped and center ribs removed
- Butter beans - 2 tins, rinsed and drained
- Italian herbs - 1.5 tsp.
- Vegetable stock - 6 cups / 1.25l
- Salt & Pepper - To taste
- Parmesan Cheese Rind - 1, to add to the broth
- Chopped tomatoes - 1, tin
For this soup it is best to use a wide but not very deep pan. A casserole type would be ideal. Heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, Italian herbs and gently fry without colouring for about 10 minutes or until softened.
Then add the tomato paste and stir for a minute or so. Now add the vegetable stock, the Parmesan rind, beans, chopped tomatoes and kale. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, approximately 20 minutes.
Season the soup with salt and pepper, remove the Parmesan rind and serve with some grated Parmesan cheese on top.