This week my dear friend Masako taught me to make this super tasty and healthy soup 'Ishikari-jiru', arigato gozaimasu Masako!
The soup is very easy to prepare, but does require a visit to your local Japanese/Asian grocery store. The combination of the ingredients simple work and the result is heart-warming.
- Salmon Fillets - 2 or 3, cut into bit size pieces
- Potatoes - 2 middle size, cut into bit size pieces
- Japanese Raddish - 15 cm/ 6 inches, cut lengthwise and cut each half into slices
- Carrot - 1 large, cut lengthwise and cut each half into slices
- Onion - 1 large, cut into 4 pieces en cut each piece in slices
- Konyaku - 1 pack 250g/ 0.5 lb, cut into bit size pieces
- Fried Soybean Curd - 1 piece, in thin slices
- Cooking Rice Wine - 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp.
- Water - 1.5L / 6 cups
- Japanese Soup Stock - 1 tsp.
- White Miso - 2 tbsp.
- Spring Onion - 1, finely sliced
Fill up your stockpot with 1.5L / 6 cups water. Add all the sliced/cut vegetables,konyaku and fried soybean curd slices. Cook till the vegetables are nearly tender, approx. 15 minutes. Add the salmon fillet pieces and simmer. After 5 minutes, stir in the Japanese soup stock and simmer for another 5 minutes. Now that veggies are tender and salmon is cooked, stir in the rice wine and white miso until dissolved. Ladle the soup into bowls, sprinkle spring onions on top and serve immediately. Enjoy.