Growing up with a great chef as mom is very nice, growing up with a great chef as mom and a great chef as neighbour is fantastic! This recipe is shared with us by my parents neighbour and dear family friend Simone. Give her super tasty Chicken & Coconut soup a try, it's very easy to prepare and will keep you going on these harsh winter days.
- Chicken Stock - 1.5L / 6 cups
- Chicken Breast - 300g/ 10 oz , cut into thin stripes
- Sunflower oil - 1 tbsp.
- Toasted sesame oil - 1 tbsp.
- Spring Onions - 4, finely sliced
- Red Pepper - 1, cut into thin stripes
- Coconut Milk (reduced fat) - 1 can
- Red Chilli - 1, finely chopped
- Fish Sauce (Nam Pla) - 1 tbsp.
- Lemon Grass - 1, stalk cut into 4 pieces and bruised with side of a knife or cleaver
- Bean Sprouts - 2 handfuls
- Salt and Pepper - to taste
- Fresh Coriander/Cilantro - to garnish
- Lime - juice of 1/2 a lime
- Salt & Pepper - to taste
Slice the chicken breast into thin stripes and finely chop the red chilli. Heat the toasted sesame & sunflower oil on medium heat in your stockpot and fry the chicken stripes and chopped red chilli until the chicken is golden brown.
Add chopped spring onions, red pepper, pour in your chicken stock, coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice. Bring to boil and cover. Once boiling reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
Add two handfuls of bean sprouts, season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle fresh coriander/cilantro on top. Enjoy.